Dr. Rhonda Acholonu and Dr. John Morrison join us from the Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference 2021 to discuss the top articles in pediatric hospital medicine over the past year. Get ready for a ton of high yield, practicing changing content on everything from BRUE to MISC-C treatment to gender disparities in pediatric hospital medicine leadership.
- Producer: Jessica Hane, MD
- Cover Art: Chris Chiu, MD
- Hosts: Chris Chiu, MD and Justin Berk, MD
- Editor: Justin Berk, MD; Clair Morgan of nodderly.com
- Guest(s): Dr. Rhonda Acholonu and Dr. John Morrison
Top Pearls On:
- Independent rounding for pediatric trainees (Moriarty et al, 2020)
- Bronchiolitis (Coon et al, 2020)
- Brief Resolved Unexplained Events (BRUE) (Tieder et al, 2021)
- Racial and socioeconomic disparities of COVID-19 infections (Goyal et al, 2020)
- Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) (Son et al, 2021)
- Adverse events among children of parents with limited comfort with English (Khan et al, 2020)
- Phototherapy in hyperbilirubinemia (Kuzniewicz et al, 2021)
- Gender disparities in pediatric hospital medicine leadership (Allan et al, 2021)
- Physical restraints in children admitted for behavioral health concerns (Dalton et al, 2021)
- Early onset sepsis (Achten et al, 2021)
- PIV patency in children (Yeung et al, 2020)
SPONSORS: VCU Health CE
We are excited to announce that the Cribsiders are now partnering with VCU Health Continuing Education to offer continuing education credits for physicians and other healthcare professionals. Check out cribsiders.vcuhealth.org and create your FREE account!
PHM 2021: The Top 10ish Articles in Pediatric Hospital Medicine
- Moriarty JA, Vellanki S, Trope LA, Hilgenberg SL, Blankenburg RL. Righting the Autonomy-Supervision Pendulum: Understanding the Impact of Independent Rounds on Medical Students, Residents, and Faculty. Acad Med. 2020;95(11S Association of American Medical Colleges Learn Serve Lead):S28-S36. doi:10.1097/ACM.000000000000364
- Coon ER, Destino LA, Greene TH, Vukin E, Stoddard G, Schroeder AR. Comparison of As-Needed and Scheduled Posthospitalization Follow-up for Children Hospitalized for Bronchiolitis: The Bronchiolitis Follow-up Intervention Trial (BeneFIT) Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Pediatr. 2020;174(9):e201937-e201937. doi:10.1001/JAMAPEDIATRICS.2020.1937
- Tieder JS, Sullivan E, Stephans A, et al. Risk Factors and Outcomes After a Brief Resolved Unexplained Event: A Multicenter Study. Pediatrics. 2021;148(1). doi:10.1542/PEDS.2020-036095
- Goyal MK, Simpson JN, Boyle MD, et al. Racial and/or Ethnic and Socioeconomic Disparities of SARS-CoV-2 Infection Among Children. Pediatrics. 2020;146(4):2020009951. doi:10.1542/PEDS.2020-009951
- Son MBF, Murray N, Friedman K, et al. Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children — Initial Therapy and Outcomes. https://doi.org/101056/NEJMoa2102605. 2021;385(1):23-34. doi:10.1056/NEJMOA2102605Yeung F, Miller MR, Ojha R, et al. Saline-Lock Versus Continuous Infusion: Maintaining Peripheral Intravenous Catheter Access in Children. Hosp Pediatr. 2020;10(12):1038-1043. doi:10.1542/hpeds.2020-0137
- Khan A, Yin HS, Brach C, et al. Association Between Parent Comfort With English and Adverse Events Among Hospitalized Children. JAMA Pediatr. 2020;174(12):e203215-e203215. doi:10.1001/JAMAPEDIATRICS.2020.3215
- Kuzniewicz MW, Park J, Niki H, Walsh EM, McCulloch CE, Newman TB. Predicting the Need for Phototherapy After Discharge. Pediatrics. 2021;147(5). doi:10.1542/PEDS.2020-019778
- Allan JM, Kim JL, Ralston SL, et al. Gender Distribution in Pediatric Hospital Medicine Leadership. J Hosp Med. 2021;16(1):31-33. doi:10.12788/jh
- Dalton EM, Herndon AC, Cundiff A, et al. Decreasing the Use of Restraints on Children Admitted for Behavioral Health Conditions. Pediatrics. 2021;148(1). doi:10.1542/PEDS.2020-003939
- Achten NB, Plötz FB, Klingenberg C, et al. Stratification of Culture-Proven Early-Onset Sepsis Cases by the Neonatal Early-Onset Sepsis Calculator: An Individual Patient Data Meta-Analysis. J Pediatr. 2021;234:77-84.e8. doi:10.1016/J.JPEDS.2021.01.065
- Yeung F, Miller MR, Ojha R, et al. Saline-Lock Versus Continuous Infusion: Maintaining Peripheral Intravenous Catheter Access in Children. Hosp Pediatr. 2020;10(12):1038-1043. doi:10.1542/hpeds.2020-0137
Detailed show notes are not available for this episode due to rapid turnaround time.
Listeners will learn about the top articles in pediatric hospital medicine that were presented at the Pediatric Hospital Medicine 2021 (#PHM21) virtual conference.
After listening to this episode listeners will…
- Be familiar with the latest research in pediatric hospital medicine
- Consider how these new studies will change their current clinical practice
Dr. Rhonda Acholonu and Dr. John Morrison report no relevant financial disclosures. The Cribsiders report no relevant financial disclosures.
Hane J, Acholonu R, Morrision J, Masur S, Chiu C, Berk J. “PHM 2021: The Top 10ish Articles in Pediatric Hospital Medicine. ” The Cribsiders Pediatric Podcast. https:/www.thecribsiders.com/ August 11, 2021.
Note: This episode will not be available for CME/MOC credit due to rapid turnaround time.