Advance your career and expertly navigate the job hunt with guidance from Dr. Alia Chisty of Temple University Hospital. Highlights include Dr. Chisty offering up her personal email address for mentorship and Dr. Watto announcing our first contest. This episode is full of wisdom to enhance your career whether you’re gainfully employed or looking for your first job.
- Meet with your mentors at the start of the process. They can:
- Help clarify your goals
- Activate your network
- Look for jobs 9 months in advance.
- An ideal job: incorporates your interests, skills, and values.
- Leverage your network (friends, mentors, program director) to identify available opportunities
- Email your cover letter (typically an email) and CV to the division chair or section chief
- Craft your elevator pitch.
- Do your homework.
- Explain how you will add value.
- When interviewing:
- Give yourself credit! Highlight experiences in your CV (e.g. conference attendance, lectures given, etc.)
- Have someone review and proofread your CV.
- If an employer makes a promise, then have it included in your contract. Don’t just take their word!
- Have a lawyer review your contract.
Goal: Listeners will learn to craft a systematized approach to finding their perfect job.
By the end of this podcast listeners will:
- Recognize timeline for applications and finding or switching jobs.
- Design an effective CV and cover letter.
- Recognize the importance and utility of mentors in the application process
Dr. Chisty reports no relevant financial disclosures.
03:40 Rapid fire questions
07:10 When to start looking for jobs
09:22 How to narrow your focus
11:33 Too many choices may be worse
13:05 Asking yourself the right questions
14:40 Quick recap of what we’ve learned
15:20 Who to contact, and what to send
22:25 How to prepare for your interview
26:05 Ramit Sethi on finding your dream job and negotiating your salary
27:36 Where to look for jobs (including social media)
31:10 Discussion of social media
33:18 What to include in your CV
35:25 Our first contest (send us your CV!)
36:30 So you’ve been offered a job (s)
38:38 Take home points
Links from the show:
- NEJM career center: http://www.nejmcareercenter.org/jobs/internal-medicine/
- JAMA career source: http://www.jamacareercenter.com/resources_overview.cfm
- Zerzan, J.T. et al. 2009. Making the most of mentors: a guide for mentees. Academic Medicine 84: 140-144. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19116494
- Ramit Sethi on finding your dream job http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/find-your-dream-job/
- Ramit Sethi on negotiating your salary http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/salary-negotiation/
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling
- NEJM Journal Watch http://www.jwatch.org
- AHRQ ePSS app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ahrq-epss/id311852560?mt=8